Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do you realize what time it is???




I didn't get the telling time thing down until I was in 3rd or 4th grade - it's numbers, right?
And numbers and I have a long standing hate/hate relationship. So already I'm at a disadvantage.

And then, as soon as I got the hang of it, out
they came with digital clocks -
so now those of you who are like me - and you know who you are - don't even have to bother. I resented digital clocks for years - I had mastered analog, dammit! Now what was I supposed to do with this great knowledge? And how do you feel good about an accomplishment when it's obsolete just a few years later? Is this fair???

Now I have to deal with time zones! Yes, I do understand about distance, curvature of the earth, the sun's trajectory across the country and all that.
I get it. But it's just weird to me to know that when I get up at 6 am in Virginia, it's only 3 am in LA - and my family and friends would be less than thrilled if I called to chat while I have my morning coffee. And a little part of me feels somehow cheated that when it's already pitch dark here and still bright sunlight there!

When Brooke and Eddie moved to Virginia a year ago, it took me awhile to get used to the idea that if I called at 8 or 9 pm my time, they were already sound asleep and Brooke would answer sounding decidedly cranky.

So if you someday get a call from me at some obnoxious hour, please forgive. I just wanted to reach out and touch you and I forgot that my time is not your time.





1 comment:

  1. Well if you want to call me I get up at 5 AM everyday due to my Marine Corp training. That's 8 AM EST.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete